Saturday, July 18, 2009

Math Institute Update

The Math Institute continues to be very enlightening. I'm picking up tons of ideas for helping students who struggle with math concepts and computation skills. I have also made quite a few games to practice both addition and multiplication facts. I can't wait to try them out with my new students. A friend of mine sent a poem about math via email this week. It's very cool. I wish everyone felt this way about Math.

Your heart beats fast...
You start to sweat...
You have this fear
That you’ll forget...
You start to pant...
Your headache pounds...
And then you jump
At every sound...
Your stomach is queasy and your skin gets a rash!
You might as well face it: you’re allergic to math!
I’ll tell the cure
Without delay.
First, come to class,
Don’t miss a day.
Go to the lab,
And questions ask,
Take good classnotes,
Then learn the facts.
You must believe in this logical path,
And you might just find that you’re addicted to math!

~Vicki Young

Clipart by Thistle Girl Designs